Monday 27 July 2020

Day 131 - War Horse

My lungs felt heavy this morning and my left leg and ankle were not happy with me.  I ran anyway and did a very quick hiit workout when I got home.


The problem with getting up later, which I did yet again today, is that by the time I've done brekkie, cleared up and showered, most of the morning has already gone!  Kelly with the Pug came over for a cuppa and left just after 12 so it was then lunchtime and I was preparing food again already!  Poor Kelly was supposed to be going to Spain on Friday and it's just been announced that they would need to quarantine for 14 days on returning to UK.  Also I think a lot of the airlines are just cancelling flights.  She isn't sure if she's going yet or not.  I'm seeing Kelly with a Chihuahua and Karen tomorrow and they have both been affected by it too.  Karen doesn't know what it happening yet and Kelly has rebooked for next year. 


For Ellis' school work he chose drama which was watching War Horse.  I had no idea how lovely it was going to be.  We are only half way through but there are so many different emotions going on in the same scene!  It makes you giggle, well up and get angry all in the space of a nano second.  I have a feeling it's a bit like Black Beauty where it will get really sad but hopefully will end happily. 🤞


I threw Leo and Oscar out onto the streets again and they went to the scooter park and shortly after my Mum arrived with Cherry and Kamron. Kamron came in and stared at me and I asked if he was okay.  He said "your hair is really silver" 👵  It was so lovely to see them and very strange to not pick Cherry up and swing her around like I normally do.  I felt really bad for her as I could tell by her little face that she thought it was strange too. 😔


I didn't take any photos of their visit as they were busy playing with their cousins and I did the ironing, put clothes away and tidied bedrooms whilst chatting to Mum about various things to do with Covid, diet, exercise, weight, clothes, kids, holidays etc.  Strangely though, on this day 4 years ago Mum brought Cherry and Kamron over for a play then too!






I had a headache by the time they left, probably from eating too much sugar today.  Crappy eating day and I'm currently sitting here with a big beer belly, with no beer in it just junk food and tea 😂  Feels uncomfortable but luckily my pyjama bottoms have a stretchy waist. 😜


The last weekend in July is Camp Bestival time.  We missed it last year and was planning on going this year but didn't book it in the end.  I suspect we'll go next year but the family that we normally attend with aren't going and I think the boys may get a bit bored with just their old folk for company.







On this evening last year I went out out with Sophie and Kathy.   It's Kathy's birthday in August and this evening was the only one we could all make.  I had a wicked time!  Obviously got quite merry and had a good boogie, which I love, followed by some dirty food on the way home, perfect!







Wasn't so perfect the next day though. 😂🤕  Good times. 😊





Where they to? - 27th July Vancouver

The fireworks were every bit as spectacular as they'd been built up to be. The bay was awash with brilliant colours and chest-thumping booms. I counted in excess of 15 aircraft circling in the area of the fireworks at one point, now that would have been an impressive explosion. The crowds were unnervingly dense, in both senses of the word. We have both been to some big events over the years but have never witnessed crowds like this. Reading Festival, Bristol Balloon Fiesta and a sell-out Wembley don't even compare. My toes did curl a bit at the beginning of the event when the beach rose en masse to sing the National Anthem with their fists held to their chests; there's a fine line to tread between national pride and a jingoistic mass-mentality and acts of tub-thumping like this slip into the latter for me.

I tried to take some snaps of the fireworks but, to be honest, they make the event look like the Chippenham Cub Scouts Synchronised Sparkler Display so I was reluctant to post any, but, I've stuck one at the top of this entry anyway just so that you can laugh at my complete ineptitude with a camera.

Much of today was spent doing pretty mundane stuff, mostly planning for the next few weeks. We've now booked some accommodation further East in another YWCA plus our first 2 stops in Youth Hostels, sleeping in dormitories; should be an eye-opener. Looking at the map, I've just worked out that I've walked another 9 miles today dashing around to book tickets and visit tourist information and stuff. Mush, meanwhile, conscious that she doesn't want to overuse her poor, ickle girly tootsies, read a little more about the exploits of Harry Potter and the Moggles, or whatever they're called. There are buses and taxis around town but we are trying to set a precedent for ourselves only to spend where we really need to. Mind you, a chiropodist might be needed at this rate and that'll probably cost more than all the bus fares combined. I know I mentioned it before but during all of the toing-and-froing today, I was really struck by the number of homeless people there are in Downtown Vancouver. Canada appears to have a homeless problem on a scale like nothing I've witnessed back home. Sadly, many of them are amputees;  the victims, I assume, of gangrene or some equally avoidable condition.

We have a very busy few days ahead, now. Tomorrow we are visiting Grouse Mountain and Lynn Canyon. This involves a couple of ferry crossings so I'm already bracing myself for the inevitable. On Friday, we are going to the capital of the province, Victoria. This involves 2 ferry crossings of 90 minutes or so. I think it's fair to say that Mush is looking forward to the next few days more than I am.


----------

Going to wrap this up and waddle my fat belly to bed and hopefully get to sleep earlier tonight as I have to get up early for my jog as we are meeting Kelly and Karen at 10:30am for a walk through the woods to the park.  With all the rain we've had it should be a nice muddy walk too and maybe even a chance for some mud sliding. 😄🙈


I will finish the bucket list soon, but I just wanted to have a think about them and see if anything popped up.  I'm still thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails