Wednesday 17 October 2007

Ellis William George 5th August 2007

Well it all started back in October a year ago. We thought that trying for a baby would take a while so set about finding jobs, saving some money, finding somewhere to live etc before I became pregnant. Well it actually only took about 3 weeks! Doh!



On the 27th November 2006 we did a test and it came back with the 2 lines!



Shortly after this we went to Prague on holiday. It was very strange to know that there was this little thing growing inside and we spent a lot of time chatting about it. I was so excited yet so scared at the same time - oh my God I have to go through labour!

It wasn't until Christmas Day that we decided to tell our whole family as they would all be there at the same time. I was about 10 weeks and it was so nice to let everyone know and I was now able to just let my belly hang out. I could also be extra excited and chat to my Mum and Sister about what was to come.


















At one of the midwife appointments we were able to hear the heartbeat for the very first time. We took a short vid.



Not long after this we had our 20 week scan and we got our first look at our little baby boy who we named Flump, hence the title.


















In April we moved into our rented house and set about settling down. I arranged the nursery and bought all the things we might need for a newborn. My sister had a little boy in the previous November so I was given loads of clothes. She also bought me loads of gifts which she hid around the living room for me to find. Well cool.
























Having attended an active birthing class since I was about 28 weeks pregnant, I was prepared for a home birth. We had everything ready and were just waiting for the day to arrive. I had struggled a bit with slightly high blood pressure so spent a lot of time just trying to chill out.

Then in the early hours of the 4th August 2007 my waters went and I started to have contractions. No need to panic, just wait for labour to be established before calling the midwife. Well, this didn't happen all day Saturday and most of Sunday. It was about 5pm on Sunday when I was on the phone to my Mum when I noticed that I was now unable to talk through my contractions - a sign that things were progressing. I said to Mum that I would call her back later on but that I thought I ought to go and time the contractions etc.

After an hour of breathing and using my TENS machine I decided that I was in established labour and that Rob should ring the midwife. She arrived 30 minutes later and started to sort out all her gear around the living room/kitchen. She monitored me and baby and said that later on she would need to do an internal exam to see how far along we were. I said that we would wait until I felt the need to push before we did that. Well not long after saying this I felt something move/change and so I said after the next contraction could she please check.

Well, she said, your doing really well but I think I can feel a bum and not a head so you will need to be transferred into hospital. The ambulance was there in about 90 seconds and the midwife cleared her stuff up and helped me to get dressed. I was offered gas and air but refused as I actually felt fine using the TENS and breathing techniques.

We had sirens and blue lights all the way to the hospital and we arrived at Southmead Hospital within a few minutes.

The next hour was spent being prepared for surgery, and shortly after the screen was put up in front of me, I heard a squeak which I knew was my baby. I was handed this little bundle and stared at it in disbelief. I said hello and happy birthday and passed him over to Rob to have a cuddle.




















We were now parents of this lovely little boy who weighed 7lb 13.5oz, called Ellis William George.


















Ellis is now 10 weeks and 3 days old and this is where I will continue my blog from. Most posts will not be this long and they will be from Ellis' point of view most of the time.

1 comment:

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails