Monday 30 March 2020

Day 11 - Drama

Wow, I paid for it.   I was lucky I was able to get straight to sleep when I went to bed but I woke in the night feeling hot and dehydrated.  It felt like the heating had been left on so I went downstairs to check and also got myself a drink, water this time.  (I later found out that Rob had come to bed at gone 2am and had the heating on until then).

Getting back to bed I was wide awake so went on my phone for a bit.  I emailed someone I was thinking about and wished someone else happy birthday, hoping I didn’t disturb them, before I checked the news and scrolled through Instagram.  I did eventually get back to sleep and woke up with my alarm at 8am feeling like I hadn't slept at all! 😴

I still managed to get up, get everyone ready on time for the Joe Wicks work out at 9am. 😅

The workout was tough.  My hip is still hurting and the bending up and down was not helping the guts or head.  I stuck it out though, encouraged by Leo who had started the day rather positively.

The boys were again great at getting on with their work but it very quickly went downhill.  Leo started to struggle quite early on.  He was very tearful and didn't want to do anything.  He would just walk off in a strop and slam the door to his bedroom.  I gave him his space and didn't push for him to do his work.  I realise that he could eventually use this to his advantage but I could tell today wasn't the day to put my foot down.




Ellis had a free period today and I had said to him about planning out a Drama lesson for us all to do at some point during the week.  Well I thought today would be the ideal opportunity to mix it up a bit and have a bit of fun outside instead of trying to get Leo to sit at a table.

Ellis had written out a lesson plan, found a script, printed it and gave each of us a stapled copy.  I could tell he was excited about it.  He asked the boys to try and take it seriously and came out with this lovely speech about giving things a go and not judging each other, being shy or making fun of anyone.



We had so much fun!  The games Ellis had planned were brilliant and everyone joined in and we laughed until we cried.  It worked great for Leo who really tried.  Oscar messed about a bit, but he's just 9 so we'll let him off.


After doing the games we all sat on the trampoline to read through the scripts together.  Ellis told us about projecting our voices and to try and sound like the character.  We took it in turns and everyone did their bit well.






I was still feeling rough 😩

We then all had to give a word to describe our character and our reasons why, taking the information from the script.  The boys did amazing with this and Ellis played his part as teacher without fault.  He is even excited about doing another lesson for later on in the week. 😍

The penultimate part of the lesson was to evaluate what we had done, what we enjoyed the most and how could it be improved.  And the best bit was the relaxing and breathing exercises at the end.  Fidget bum Oscar kept making the trampoline bounce but I was in the zone and enjoyed just lying under the beautiful blue sky taking in the moment.


Leo didn't really improve much in the afternoon.  He accidentally dribbled on his reading book and burst into sobs of tears about it.  I just gave him a snuggle and told him school was finished for the day.  That put a smile on his face.

For our quiet half an hour in the afternoon I've been putting on the free audio book from David Walliams.  Ellis listens in too and it's just a really nice way to end the "school" day.

Luckily today went so fast! I think the drama lesson certainly helped as it was so much fun and we ran over into lunchtime, also the change of clocks always puts me out of whack for a bit.  Much to the boys dismay when dinner didn't arrive until nearly 6pm and not 5pm.😱

Ellis did his online guitar lesson again, which appears to work well, I caught up with some friends and then spent my evening writing 3 days worth of blogs.

Hoping tomorrow will be a little more positive for Leo and that we can get through the day without any doors slamming. 🤞

Today I learnt that drinking on a school night is a big fat no!  I'm looking forward to going to the beach and I am grateful that none of us are ill in bed. 😌

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails