Saturday 15 August 2020

Day 150 - Au revoir

I've spent the whole day packing, sorting clothes and finishing off things on my to do list.  I've made a huge dent in it all which is great so hopefully not too much to do when we get back off our little holiday. 👍

My leg is not good and so I rested it this morning, but actually I've been on my feet for 99% of the day anyway!  I've got it up at the moment and it could do with some ice on it but I'm going to just try and get the blog sorted and then shower and bed.  More packing to do in the morning and I'm thinking it might not all fit in the car! 😬

Ellis went to the woods for the day again which is great!  He rushed back at 4 though so he could watch Bristol Bears play their first match back, which they won! YAY!


The other two have just been gaming and messing around, running ferrel.  They did jump in the pool at one point but then promptly jumped back out and soon turned blue.

I cooked the Hello Fresh meal tonight as the boys were watching the rugby.  It really is quite easy to follow and it looked quite pretty.  Ellis ate the chicken breast and that was it.



Where they to? 15th August Quebec City

This was our laziest day of the trip yet. We lounged about in our room and on our balcony, reading, snoozing and drinking tea. I started looking into planning the USA leg of our tour but the country is such an awkward shape that no matter how you try to plan your route, you always end up missing great swathes of land. I think we're just going to have to accept that we're going to miss more than we see and that even a lifetime of travelling would leave you feeling that you've missed out on something.

I started reading Robinson Crusoe today. The general gist of the first 3 chapters is as follows: Robinson, as a young man, despite having a comfortable living in England, has wandering desires. His parents advised him that he would do best to resist those desires and settle into a life "on the middle road" where he would never be troubled by the challenges of the poor and, likewise, would escape the pressures and expectations of the rich. He didn't heed their advice and ended up going away and getting stranded on a desert island. I can't help but feel that there may be something more appropriate that I should be reading right now.

We cooked our own dinner this evening but were made to feel somewhat inadequate when our macaroni topped with tinned Bolognese sauce was trumped by 2 frenchmen who came in carrying an armful of ingredients, many of which we didn't even know existed. They proceeded to throw together some creation that looked, smelled and, no doubt, tasted delicious. They sat down next to us to eat their food and, much to my annoyance, were both genuinely nice blokes. They gestured to us to take some of their bread and Mush took them up on their kind offer of a glass of wine. I almost want to dislike them for not being dislikeable enough. I spoke to them, in French, for about 20 minutes, about both our trip and their's, and was most pleased when, after over a decade of not using it, they told me that my French was better than most of the British ex-pats they've met where they live, in Brittany. Seeing that they were pretty friendly, hearing my relative success at chatting to them in their language and growing in confidence herself, Mush brought the conversation to a close by saying through a bashful grin "Merci for the vin rouge. I'm going for a douche." Bless.

----------

Bonnet de douche, bonjour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like...

Related Posts with Thumbnails